Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Happy Thanksgiving Folks

Given my penchant for artists like Richard Thompson and Joy Division, as well as my own often bleak world view, I tried to think of some songs that, well, make me feel happy and thankful. I could identify just a few tunes which are not necessarily uplifting, but that I associate with happy moments or times in my life. Jethro Tull's "Songs from the Wood" comes to mind.

But the one song that never fails to make me feel giddy is Peter Gabriel's "Solsbury Hill." I don't associate it with any particular period in my life, but it strikes me as such a inherently joyful song and I was hooked the moment I heard it. It is a song about taking a great leap of faith in life (in Gabriel's case, leaving the band Genesis). Without further adieu, here is his transcendant live performance from his Secret World tour. Thank you Peter.

No comments:

Post a Comment